Titus 2:11-14, Romans 6, Romans 5, Hebrew 6:4-6 , 10:26, Ephesians 2:11
What Is Grace?
Grace, literally means approval or kindness towards someone. It also means unmerited favor received from someone and for something we do not deserve.
The Greek word for grace is “charis” pronounced “khar’ece.” It literally means –acceptable, benefit, favor, gift, joy, pleasure, etc.
Grace also means empowerment, ability. It means power to attain a favorable outcome in a particular matter in spite of disqualifications or deficiencies.
In terms of salvation, God’s grace towards mankind refers to the undeserving favor of God in providing salvation for those deserving condemnation (Romans 5:18; 9-10)
Grace has to do with Redemption from sin!
FEATURES OF GOD’S GRACE
According to Titus: 11-14
· It brings Salvation: God’s grace enables us to repent totally from sin and to over to righteousness.
· It has now appeared and made available to all men for redemption from sin.
· It teaches and instructs us to say Capital ‘NO,’
Refuse and reject:
Sin in its entirety, wickedness and worldly lusts.
· It also teaches us to live soberly (self-control, seriousness, sound and good moral judgment), righteously and godly in this world.
· It teaches us to have faith and expect the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our King –Jesus Christ.
· Through God’s grace we are:
· Purified unto God
· Favored becoming a peculiar people
· Accepted and recognized by God (Jehovah; father of our Lord Jesus Christ).
· We are empowered to do good works.
· We partake in the inheritance of the saints in the light
· Through grace we have direct access to the father by faith.
· It is the gift of God to you not of your work or effort
Romans: 11:6: “And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.”
· Through grace we receive mercy and justification by faith. Romans:3:24: “Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:”
· It destroys lack and want.
2Corinthians:9:8: “And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:”
· God’s grace produces supernatural wealth.
“For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.”
How is Grace received?
Through faith (believe)
Acts: 15:11: “But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved…,”
“Acts: 18:27: And when he was disposed to pass into Achaia, the brethren wrote, exhorting the disciples to receive him: who, when he was come, helped them much which had believed through grace:”
Through preaching Christ/ testimony of the word
Acts: 14:3: “Long time therefore abode they speaking boldly in the Lord, which gave testimony unto the word of his grace…,”
Work of grace in a believer
· It produces genuine repentance and daily godly living
· It produces God’s mercy, love and acceptance.
· Grace produces humility, genuine love for God and our fellow man.
· It empowers a believer to resist sin, evil and gives a believer boldness to preach and live for Christ.
· We are empowered to walk into God’s presence.
· It strengthens the heart of the believer by which he is equipped with everything good to do God’s will.
· Grace is sustained by righteous living, obedience, humility and prayers.
IMPORTANT FACTS ABOUT GRACE
· Grace does not maintain or tolerate sin Titus 2:11-12.; Romans 6.
· It is not a permission or license for sin. Jude:1:4: “For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness (sexual sins and liberty), and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.” Romans 6;
· There are consequences for rejecting God’s grace. Hebrew 6:4-6, 10:26
Hebrew:10:29: “Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?”
· God does not give anybody special grace to indulge in sinful pleasure or lifestyle.
· Grace of God must be known and maintained in the truth of God’s word
· We are to continue in God’s grace to finally inherit eternal life
· A Christian is expected to grow in God’s grace daily.
· Grace can be abused, received in vain, frustrated
· There is possibility of anyone to fall from grace if caution is neglected. Hebrew 6:4-6, 10:26.
IMPLICATION OF REJECTING GOD’S GRACE
Hebrew 6:4-6, 10:26-30.
· We crucify Christ painfully again
· We put Jesus to an open shame before the entire world.
· Unbelievers are totally discouraged and prevented to repent and come to the God we claim to represent here on earth.
· People who fall from grace and reject God’s grace are HELL-Bound.
· People who fall from grace and turn against God as former believers cannot be brought back to or accepted by God even if they are still in the church.
· No more sacrifice for sins.
· They are reserved for God’s judgment. People who reject
· God’s grace grieve the Holy Spirit and cannot be forgiven.
· They shall be cast into the lake of fire.
WHAT IT MEANS TO REJECT GOD’S GRACE
1. We reject God’s grace by involving our self in, though not limited only to, the following:
3. Deep involvement with unbelievers and ungodly people (associations)
4. Ungodly and consistently sinful practice.
5. Immoral living/lifestyle or dressings
6. Involvement in occult/diabolism in any form
8. Despise of the word and prayer
9. Bitterness and refusing to walk in love
10. Persecute a fellow believer
11. Refusal to obey God
12. Refusal to advance the gospel (financially, personal evangelism)
13. Living a wicked and mean life.
15. Pride and all forms of unrighteousness.
16. Endorsing sin or those who commit them etc.
17. Deception and hypocrisy
The grace of God is not a license or permission to sin. Grace empowers us to say NO to sin, wickedness, and worldly lust.
Grace enables us to be humble, kind and walk in love towards one another.The GRACE of God leads to salvation and total denial of sin and the world!